Scholarship Essay Contest
Our attorneys graduated from undergraduate and law schools from across the state of Texas, including University of Texas at Austin, Baylor, and the University of Houston. Upon graduation from law school, we were all left with hefty debts from student loans. With each generation, students are taking more money in loans to cover the ever growing cost of college. We are now positioned to give a little back to students currently making their way through their undergraduate and professional schools. Our hope is to give a piece of financial relief while triggering a student’s interest in criminal law. The essay topic will always deal with a criminal law topic that invites critical and creative thinking.
In order to participate in the essay contest, and earn the scholarship reward, participants must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be a U.S. resident
- The applicant must be enrolled at a U.S. college or university and have a valid student identification number (this includes two-year schools with Associate Degree programs)
- The applicant must file their scholarship application and essay by the deadlines provided on this page
- The applicant must read the scholarship application in full and agree to the terms therein
- The applicant must only submit one essay
- The applicant must submit original work that has not been used in other submissions
The scholarship application can be found here for the 2023 Scholarship Essay Contest: ODH Law Essay Contest Application
Fill out the scholarship application. Submit the application to email@example.com.
The prompt for the 2023 essay contest is available at the following link: ODH Law Scholarship Prompt for 2023
Submit BOTH the application and the entry essay by July 10th, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The winner of the contest will be selected, and the winner notified, by August 15, 2023.
The scholarship reward is $1,000.
The essays will be judged based on the following three criteria: 1) grammar and readability, 2) structure of the argument, and 3) strength of argument. Each criteria will be judged on a scale of 1-20. The essay with the highest total will be rewarded the scholarship. Only one entry is eligible for the reward. All rewards are mailed directly to the winner’s college or university of enrollment.
Useful Guidance for Applicants
The winner of the scholarship will be selected by our judges following review of every entered essay. The essay prompts will require analytical thought and creative thinking. The following are some useful hints on how to make the essay stand out from the pack:
- Outline your response before beginning to write the essay. Take time to really let the question sink in before attempting to formulate a response.
- More is not always better. The essay must be 750 words or less. A great essay can be written within the word limit.
- Citations to sources is always a good idea. It lets the judges know you put the effort into understanding the topic.
- Proof read your work. Essays with bad grammar have no chance against an essay without that issue.
- Think outside the box. Many essays will follow the same thought process. An intelligent response off the normal path can create separation.
Our firm will not use or disseminate your essay, personal information, or application without prior consent. The essay, application, and other communications are for the sole purpose of facilitating the essay scholarship contest. If the firm wishes to disseminate the essay or any personal information for purposes of promoting the scholarship, we will obtain prior consent from the applicant. The applicant’s personal information will not be provided to third parties or used to solicit the applicant in the future.